I’ve just finished rereading my two Marvel Comics novels (the ones I wrote, that is, X-Men: Watchers on the Walls and Spider-Man: Drowned in Thunder), and I realized that for some reason I like to reread them a lot more than I do my Trek fiction. Maybe because I’ve usually got a new Trek project in the works and that holds my attention. Anyway, I’ve been giving some thought to rereading my Trek stuff, just to keep my memory fresh about it, and I thought it might be nice to read it all in chronological order. So I thought I’d put together a list of the chronological order for my fiction (going by the main portion of the work as opposed to any flashbacks or prologues or what-have-you). And I figured I’d kill two birds with one stone if I made the list here, since I haven’t done much posting lately.
So here goes, the chronological order of all published Star Trek fiction by Christopher L. Bennett, based on the assumptions I make in my own chronology, and numbered in the order they were published:
- 6: TOS: “As Others See Us”: August 2269
- 3: TOS: Ex Machina: October-November 2273
- 7: TOS: Mere Anarchy: The Darkness Drops Again: January 2274; November 2279; December 2282; September 2283
- 8: TNG: The Buried Age: May-August 2355; October 2358-May 2360; June 2363-January 2364
- 9: TNG: “Friends With the Sparrows”: October-November 2371
- 2: DS9: “Lov’d I Not Honor More”: January 2374
- 10: VGR: Places of Exile: January-February 2374; August-November 2374; June-September 2375; February 2376 (alternate timeline)
- 4: VGR: “Brief Candle”: February 2376
- 1: SCE: Aftermath: August 2376
- 12: TTN: “Empathy”: October 2376 (Mirror Universe)
- 5: TTN: Orion’s Hounds: February-March 2380
- 11: TNG: Greater Than the Sum: September 2380-January 2381
- 13: TTN: Over a Torrent Sea: (Prologue) February-April 2381; (body) July-August 2381
I didn’t include Seek a Newer World because it hasn’t been published and I can’t know how it might change if it ever does get the go-ahead; however, the version I wrote is set in October-December 2258, which would put it at the beginning of the list. As for DTI: Watching the Clock, I don’t want to give too much away yet, but the main portion of the narrative takes place overlapping and after Over a Torrent Sea, in 2381-82.
So the most recent thing I’ve had published is also the most recent chronologically, and that will still be true once DTI comes out. However, if SaNW had come out on schedule, then my most recent published work would’ve been set the earliest.
Some interesting patterns there. I’ve got a block of three works, from #7 to #9, where the writing order and chronological order match up. Moreover, of the first three things I wrote, each took place earlier than the last, and everything from #6 to #11 was moving forward chronologically.
In the coincidence department, my chronology lists Places of Exile as starting two days before “Lov’d I Not Honor More” begins and ending two days after “Brief Candle” ends. Other than that, the shortest gap between two works set in the same timeline is between GTTS and OaTS, with only seven weeks separating them. To date, I have no overlaps between works set in the same timeline, but that will change when DTI comes out.
So am I going to reread all my stuff? I don’t know. If so, probably not all in one clump. But if anyone out there wants to read it all in chronological order, there’s your reading list.