I’ve finally been getting back to work on the third story in my Hub universe, and in reviewing the first two, I’ve discovered I made a really major continuity error that I somehow managed to overlook. In “The Hub of the Matter,” I referred to the character of Mokak Vekredi as a member of the Zeghryk species — yet in “Home is Where the Hub Is,” I called him a Verzhik instead! Worse, Verzhik is a name I’d already used three years earlier for an alien species referenced (but not seen) in Star Trek: Mere Anarchy: The Darkness Drops Again.
I have no idea how this happened. I mean, the names are similar enough that I can certainly see how I might’ve gotten them confused… but I know I re-read the first story repeatedly to refresh my memory for writing the second. And the correct name for the species is right there in my series notes too. Maybe the problem is that I reviewed THotM and the notes before writing HiWtHI and not so much during or after.
Now the question is, what do I do about it? I’m tempted to come up with a rationalization in the third story that explains away the two different names. After all, how many dozens of different names in different languages do we have for humans? But given that I already used the name “Verzhik” elsewhere — and in work I don’t own, no less — I should probably avoid using the name again in the Hubverse. I should probably just go back to using “Zeghryk” and pretend it was always that way, and fix the error should I ever get HIWTHI reprinted.
Oh, well. These are the pitfalls of series writing. Heck, Dr. Watson’s war wound location and marital status were famously variable in the Sherlock Holmes canon. And Stan Lee forgot some of his iconic characters’ names in early Marvel Comics issues — Bruce Banner was sometimes called Bob Banner (hence the “Robert Bruce Banner” fix), and Peter Parker was Peter Palmer once or twice. Still, it’s embarrassing, and I apologize for the error.